Five Gifts to Give the Kid Who Just Got Braces
Let’s be honest—getting braces is kind of a big deal. When a kid in your life gets braces, it can be a monumental time for everyone! You get excited for their bright future full of confident, healthy smiles, but of course it may not be as easy for them to gear up for such a (seemingly) distant reward. If there’s a child or teen in your life about to start the journey to a straight smile, you might want to get them something encouraging to get them pumped and prepared. Here are five great gift ideas to jumpstart their smiles:
- Braces Survival Kit – Let’s start with the practical, since there’s nothing better for new braces than being prepared! A new routine can be hard to adjust to, but with the right tools, your child will be able to carry on in confidence. One great product is the DentaKit Braces Survival Kit; it comes with all kinds of goodies, including a compact mirror, a pop-up folding cup for rinsing, and a mini spiral toothbrush for tough-to-reach spots. Everything comes in a lightweight 4×6 nylon pouch for easy, on-the-go care at school, the movies, or anywhere!
- Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser – This handy flossing aid may be a tad more expensive than the other items on this list, but parents everywhere agree it’s some of the best money they’ve spent after braces themselves! The gentle water jet can dislodge food particles from tough-to-reach places comfortably, and the cool burst can be particularly relieving when gums and teeth are sore after tightening.
- Ice Cream Gift Card – What better reward for a kid who has toughed out their big day getting braces than a special, sweet treat? That first day can be a little tough sometimes, and ice cream has the trifecta of braces-friendly treat properties: cold, soft, and delicious! Just make sure to avoid any sticky or crunchy mix-ins; you can’t beat the classic vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry.
- Glamour Set – If your fashion-savvy teen is feeling a little awkward or unsure about her new look, a set of new nail polishes or accessories can help her feel glamorous while she figures out how best to rock her new gear. You might try a colorful collection of nail polishes, letting her match her nails to her rubber bands or try something completely new. Perhaps some new earrings will be her favorite thing to accessorize with her braces. You know she’s set up for success with a healthy smile, and this could help her realize that, too!
- Headphones + iTunes Gift Card – Sometimes all a kid wants is a little distraction while they’re getting used to their braces; music and movies can help them relax and get away from it all. Headphone brands like Skullcandy offer a wide range of funky, cool, and cute earbuds to match any style, letting your son or daughter express themselves even when they’re tuning out a bit. They’re sure to appreciate the time to drift away and dream about the results of their hard work!
At Birmingham Orthodontics, our mission is simple: we create smiles. Not only do we straighten the crooked grin, fix the bite, and adjust the jaw, we also brighten yearbooks, help young people come to like their looks, and give adults the confidence they have wanted for a long, long time. We also believe in our staff. Our culture of continuous learning has allowed us to host monthly training sessions for each team and bring in leading industry consultants to help keep us ahead of the curve. Contact us for a free consultation, or any questions you might have.