The pros of orthodontic treatment such as braces generally outweigh the cons. First of all, straightening your teeth offers increased confidence, an improved bite, and the smile you deserve. However, every patient should be prepared for possible side effects of any treatment before they start. While these side effects are usually mild, there are a few things to be aware of before getting braces. Our specialist for Invisalign® Teen in Birmingham explains more below.
Why Get Braces?
Braces are necessary to treat many orthodontic conditions, such as:
- Crooked teeth
- Jaw and bite misalignment
- Gapped teeth
Secondly, getting braces not only straightens your teeth but also fixes certain problems associated with these issues. Orthodontic treatment can resolve difficulties with speech, eating, breathing, and jaw and facial deformities.
Possible Side Effects
The chances of serious negative effects related to braces are slim. The main side effects that you should be aware of include:
- Discomfort – most people experience mild discomfort when they get braces. This is normal, as the mechanism that adjusts your smile exerts pressure on your teeth.
- Irritation – wires and brackets used for braces can rub against the inside of your mouth and tongue. There is wax available to protect your mouth from chafing.
- Trouble chewing – this can occur after a tightening and should go away with time. Be sure to eat braces-friendly foods if you experience this.
- Pain in the jaw – if your treatment includes jaw alignment, you may experience jaw pain.
Other side effects that are preventable include tooth decay and decalcification (white spots remain under the bracket after removal). These can be avoided by carefully brushing, flossing, and removing food debris from your braces.
Addressing Side Effects
As a result, many of these symptoms will subside on their own as you adjust to your new braces. If you have long-lasting effects, severe pain, or symptoms of an allergic reaction, contact our orthodontist immediately.
Contact Our Specialist for Invisalign Teen in Birmingham Today!
The information provided in this article is not meant to be medical advice and is for educational purposes only. If you would like to learn more about retainers or other topics related to orthodontics, feel free to contact Birmingham Orthodontics with convenient offices in Birmingham by clicking here or by calling 205.635.7824.